February 22 in Cardinals History

1938– After college, Texas Christian football All-American Sammy Baugh signs a contract with the Cardinals. ‘Slingin’ Sammy’, who will experience little playing time as a backup to starting shortstop Marty Marion, will leave the minor leagues to become the quarterback for the Washington Redskins of the National Football League.

1993– The St. Louis Cardinals traded Felix Jose and Craig Wilson to the Kansas City Royals for Ed Gerald (minors) and Gregg Jefferies.


Charlie Moran played for the Cardinals in 1903 but had a varied sports career.  (February 22, 1878 – June 14, 1949), nicknamed “Uncle Charley”, was an American sportsman who gained renown as both a catcher and umpire in Major League Baseball and as a collegiate and professional football coach.

Moran played football for the University of Tennessee in 1897, but left after one year to go to Bethel College, where he coached football as well as playing the sport. After graduating, he became an assistant to Pop Warner at the Carlisle Indian Industrial School, and played minor league baseball in 1902 for teams in Little Rock, Chattanooga and Dallas.
In 1903, Moran pitched for the National League’s St. Louis Cardinals, who finished in last place, but he appeared in only three games (plus another as a shortstop) before injuring his arm. He posted a 5.25 earned run average in his brief tenure of 24 innings, being charged with a loss without earning a win, but also batted .429. He went back to the minor leagues to manage the Dallas Giants in 1904, and continued playing with teams in Galveston (1905), Waco and Cleburne (1906), Grand Rapids (1906–07) and Savannah (1908).He returned to the Cardinals as a catcher in 1908 and played in 21 games, batting .175 as the team again finished last.
His minor league career continued with teams in Milwaukee, Mobile, New Orleans, Dallas and Montgomery until he suffered a broken leg in 1912. He briefly played with teams in Chattanooga and Brunswick in 1913 before retiring as a player. After managing an Austin team in 1914, he began umpiring, in the Texas League in 1915–16 and the Southern Association in 1917.

Moran began coaching football in 1909 at Texas A&M, where he accumulated a 38–8–4 record as head coach over six seasons through 1914. Note. This may be incorrect as he was elevated to head coach after the second game of the 1909 season. He became a National League umpire in 1918, a job he held through the 1939 season. He officiated in four World Series (1927, 1929, 1933, and 1938), serving as crew chief on the last two occasions. He was behind the plate on May 8, 1929 when Carl Hubbell of the New York Giants pitched an 11–0 no-hitter against the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Moran also resumed his career as a football head coach in 1917 at Centre College, where he had a 42–6–1 record in five seasons. He had previously been working as an assistant coach at Carlisle, and had visited Centre to see his son Tom—later an NFL player with the New York Giants—play; after helping the team prepare for an important contest he was offered the head coaching job by the school. The first two games of the 1917 season were coached by Robert L. “Chief” Myers, and the rest by Moran. According to Centre publications, “Myers realized he was dealing with a group of exceptional athletes, who were far beyond his ability to coach. He needed someone who could the team justice, and found that person in Charles Moran.” His record including undefeated seasons in 1919 and 1921, when the team was led on the field by Hall of Fame quarterback Bo McMillin. On October 29, 1921, Moran guided Centre College to a historic 6–0 upset of Harvard, which had been unbeaten the previous two seasons. The game, commonly appreviated “C6-H0”, was ranked 3rd biggest upset in college football history by ESPN.
During the 1921 season Moran began a friendship with future baseball commissioner Happy Chandler, who was then a player on an opposing Transylvania University team.[2] Moran then moved to Bucknell University, where he had a 19–10–2 record from 1924 through 1926.He was co-coach with Ed Weir of the NFL’s Frankford Yellow Jackets in 1927, but left after the team managed only a 6–9–3 season. His final coaching job was at Catawba College from 1930 through 1933, where he had a 22–11–5 record.

Roy Radebaugh (February 22, 1881 – January 17, 1945) was a Major League Baseball pitcher. Radebaugh played for the St. Louis Cardinals in 1911. In 2 career games, he had a 0–0 record with a 2.70 ERA. He batted and threw right-handed.

Clarence Mitchell (February 22, 1891 – November 6, 1963) was an American Major League Baseball pitcher. He played in the majors from 1911 to 1932 for the Detroit Tigers, Cincinnati Reds, New York Giants, Brooklyn Robins, Philadelphia Phillies and St. Louis Cardinals. Mitchell was known for throwing the spitball, and he was one of the 17 pitchers allowed to continue throwing the pitch after it was outlawed in 1920.
On October 10, 1920, in Game 5 of the 1920 World Series, Mitchell made history when, with men on first and second and no outs, he hit a rising liner that Cleveland Indians second baseman Bill Wambsganss caught. Wambsganss was able to double up the lead runner, Pete Kilduff, who was still running toward third, then tagged out Otto Miller, who had come down from first base. Mitchell is the only player in Major League history to hit into an unassisted triple play in a World Series. In his next at bat, Mitchell hit into a double play, making him responsible for five outs in two consecutive trips to the plate, another World Series record.Career numbers show he won 125 games and lost 139.
Mitchell also has the distinction of being the last legal lefthanded spitball pitcher.

Tony DeFate (February 22, 1895 – September 3, 1963) was an American professional baseball player who played one season in Major League Baseball as an infielder for two teams. In 1917, he played for the St. Louis Cardinals  and appeared in 14 games, and later for the Detroit Tigers of the American League and appeared in three games. In his 17 game major league career, he collected two hits in 16 at bats for a .125 batting average. As a fielder, playing both as a third baseman and second baseman, he had six assists while not committing an error

Bill Baker  (February 22, 1911 – April 13, 2006) was a catcher in Major League Baseball who played with the Cincinnati Reds (1940–41), Pittsburgh Pirates (1941–43, 1946) and St. Louis Cardinals (1948–49). Baker batted and threw right-handed. He was a .247 hitter with two home runs and 68 RBI in 263 games played. He served as a backup catcher for three National League clubs in parts of seven seasons as he was a member of the 1940 World Champion Cincinnati Reds. His most productive year was 1943, with Pittsburgh, when he appeared in a career-high 63 games and hit .273 with 26 RBI. Traded to St. Louis, he batted .294 in 45 games in 1948. Following his playing career, Baker umpired in the NL during the 1957 season and coached for the Chicago Cubs in 1950

Rick Heiserman (born February 22, 1973 in Atlantic, Iowa) is former Major League Baseball pitcher. Heiserman played for the St. Louis Cardinals in 1999 and produced an 8.31 ERA.

Former Cardinals That Died on this Date

Chief Wilson

Andy High